Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Am A Woman


After completing my graduation and working for two years I was married to the man I chose. Things became pretty different. When I used to wake up, I could see my parents, my siblings and my own people before my marriage. I saw a person beside me who had no blood relation but was caring at the same time could feel the pride in possessing me. I had to be busy with paper works changing my last name. Why did I change my last name? Is it because I am a woman?

Now that I was at a new place, completely uprooted from the birth place, I started with new food habits, new likings and new ways of talking and also had to think twice before I said something. Lots of sacrifice, lots of responsibilities and lots more which I never thought of. I started observing, nothing changed for my husband. He was at his place, with his own people. I had to let them know before going to my place. Why was this? Is it because I am a woman?

The day came when I became a mother. I had to go through the terrible pain which almost every mother had at the time of becoming a mother. My husband came with a smiling face and at the same time with his caring hands tried to hold my hands before the birth of my child. The pain made me annoyed; I stared at him and then with an angry tone asked him: “I think you are happy because you are about to become a father, why not sharing my pain?” When my son was born I forgot the pain. Like the rest of other women in the world, I was happy. It was the ‘first rice taking ceremony’ of my son. We thought of inviting our friends and relatives to be a part of the ceremony. A card was printed, people were invited. My son grew up. I showed him his pictures. I showed him the card. The card read my in-laws’ names along with my husband’s name and yes, it also had my son’s name. I read once, twice, thrice….but where is my name? It did not have my name. I was so busy with my family, loving all members of the family that I did not look at this. Why did nobody think of mentioning my name? Is it because I am a woman?

After coming back from work place, I could not sleep much. Nobody asked me to wake up however, it was my inner feeling of motherhood, responsible woman that forced me to wake up with only four to five hours of sleep. On the other hand, I would see my husband sleeping for seven to eight hours with no worries, not much of responsibility. Why am I so worried to make a perfect home? Is it because I am a woman?

After all these years I have come to know the greatest truth about woman. I am happy to be a woman as, woman, god’s most beautiful creation on earth is a symbol of

W-WISDOM
O-ORIGIN
M-MOTHERHOOD
A-ADORABLE
N-NO NUISANCES

“Women have strengths that amaze men. They bear hardships and they carry burdens, but they hold happiness, love and joy. They smile when they want to scream. They sing when they want to cry. They cry when they are happy and laugh when they are nervous. They fight for what they believe in. They stand up to injustice. They don’t take ‘no’ for an answer when they believe there is a better solution. They go without so their family can have. They go to the doctor with a frightened friend. They love unconditionally. They cry when their children excel and cheer when their friends get awards. They are happy when they hear about a birth or a wedding. Their hearts break when a friend dies. They grieve at the loss of a family member, yet they are strong when they think there is no strength left.”
My heart is filled with love. I am happy to be what I am. I am happy to be a woman.

5 comments:

  1. sukarna, beautiful thoughts expressed in such a poignant way. loved reading it. you are who you are sukarna and we all love you for that. And yes, it IS because you are a woman. keep writing my friend. loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog and felt very imotional because I am a man, may be there is no blood connection with me, still I feel proud because I am a man. Carry on and be always hale & hearty.

    PRODOSH GHOSH

    ReplyDelete